We accept donations
to support our work.
Sponsored Links to
ConsumerLab.com: Evaluates the quality of dietary supplement and herbal products.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. Trustworthy information on dietary supplements and herbs.
PharmacyChecker.com: Compare drug prices and save money at verified online pharmacies.
About Diet Scam Watch
- About Dr. Barrett
- Mission Statement
Basic Information about Weight Control
- Weight Loss and Nutrition: Myths vs. Facts (posted 7/26/07)
- Obesity, Physical Activity, and Weight Control Glossary (posted 7/26/07)
- Impossible Weight-Loss Claims: Summary of an FTC Report
- Low-Carbohydrate Diets
- U.S. Weight-Loss Market Tops $60 Billion (posted 5/16/11)
- Obesity Drugs: Past, Current, and Future (posted 3/30/11)
Consumer Warning Statements
- Better Business Bureau Alert
- FTC "Red Flags" for Bogus Weight Loss Scams (posted 8/1/13)
- National Council Against Health Fraud
- Weighing the Evidence in Diet Ads (FTC)
- UK Committee of Advertising Practice Guidelines
Questionable Products and Theories
- Algae Products: False Claims and Hype
- Calorie Control (Jillian Michaels) (posted 2/14/10)
- "Cellulite" Removers
- Celluslim (posted 7/6/06)
- Coral Calcium
- Dr. Oz's Not-So-Amazing "Fat Busters"
- Enforma: ("Fat Trapper" and "Exercise in a Bottle")
- Garcinia Cambogia Irresponsibly Promoted by Dr. Oz (link to another site)
- Herbal Weight-Loss Products for Children (posted 6/16/06)
- Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) (posted 4/23/07)
- Liproxenol (posted 2/24/13)
- Phytopharma Plant Macerat Weight-Loss Plan
- Silly Chiropractic Advice about Obesity Prevention
- Slim Chance Awards (Gimmicks and Frauds, 1989-2010)
- Slim Slippers: A Precautionary Tale
- FTC Analysis of Advertising Trends (2002) (posted 12/22/08)
- FTC 2004 Weight-Loss Advertising Survey (posted 12/22/08)
- NHLBI Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults (2000) (posted 8/4/09)
- The Practical Guide: Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults (2000) (posted 8/4/09)
Legal and Regulatory Actions
- FTC Enforcement Actions, 1927-May 2003 (posted 2/18/05)
- Metabolife Founder Sentenced to Priison (posted 9/4/11)
- CAP Rules for Detox and Diets (1/10/12)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Healthy Weight Network
- National Weight Control Registry
- Weight Control Information Network (WIN)
- Anti-Quackery Ring (health-related frauds, myths, fads, and fallacies)
Navigate: Next Site || Previous Site || Random || Next 5 || All Sites
- Skeptic Ring (examines paranormal phenomena and fringe science)
Navigate: Next Site || Previous Site: || Random || Next 5 || All Sites
- Diet Scam Watch abides by the
HONcode principles of the
- Health On the Net Foundation
Diet Scam Watch home
page visitors since 11/17/04:
- Site indexing is done daily at 5:00 AM.
Last update: January 14, 2014
All articles on this Web site except government reports are copyrighted.
Single copies can be downloaded for personal education; other uses without authorization are illegal.
"Quackwatch" and the duck picture are service-marked; their unauthorized use is illegal.
Site design was developed by Marty Mapes of Boulder Information Services.
- Diet Scam Watch abides by the